blogger

Monday 3 March 2014

Round 2.5

Made it!! After hitting refresh on my inbox browser 50+ times in the space of an hour on Feb 17th, I finally got the “Congratulations, your business idea is in the top 12 shortlist” email.  Time to celebrate again (this is getting to be quite a regular occurrence).

Then of course, reality kicked right back in when I read the brief. The next round consisted of a 10 minute pitch to a panel and a 5 minute Q & A. This would be combined with a meet and greet event where participants would get the opportunity to meet Accenture consultants, finalists from previous years and representatives from NDRC.  Networking opportunity ahead!!

Once I had this information in hand, I went straight back to the lovely Peters (there are actually two of them replying to my emails in Accenture) and requested feedback from my presentation in the last round. Within a couple of hours, I knew that there were some areas within my presentation that needed a bit of tightening and more thought. Advice taken on board and late nights ahead for the next week!

**Pitch ready, game face on, show time**

On arrival at the Accenture offices, I was guided into the meet and greet area. After chatting with a couple of the consultants, I was ironically “pitched” by another competitor who literally did not draw breath until he was finished. Apparently, he thought that I was one of the judges. Brilliant!! I already appear to work at the company (as a head of department no less). Good start on the company fit profile. 

I should point out that I was not only flying the DIT flag in this competition but also the flag for all mature students! J

Following a welcome message, congratulatory speech, more details about the next round of the competition and a run down of proceedings by the Director, we were advised of our panel allocation. 

"The Top Twelve"
I was up next in boardroom Inis Mór. While this was a “Dragon’s Den” type of situation, the dragons were far more friendly than intimidating. I do have to admit though that nerves did kick in at that point. Usually pretty unflappable in these situations, I realised afterwards that presenting a project very personal to your life is a completely different scenario to a strictly work or college situation.  Lesson learned and I will be rehearsing with an audience next time. 

In the Q&A, I was asked a couple of questions that I hadn’t considered on the business model I was proposing. This has led me to take a second angle on the business idea that would make an excellent feasibility study. Great advice taken from Gary Leydon of NDRC. 

**Time to relax and network**
Having spent time with almost all contestants for the award, there was a very clear divide on motivation for entry. Approximately 70% were either applying or interviewing to work with Accenture. They were hoping that the competition would elevate them through the recruitment process. The other 30% really wanted to pursue their business ideas through NDRC and really didn’t see themselves pursing a career with Accenture. Curious odds but great for the recruitment department.  I also wonder how many of the 30% would turn down a position if offered…time will tell. 




One thing that was clear from talking to the consultants is that Accenture is a very positive place to work and people seemed genuinely happy in their jobs. Also, teams are not actually based in head office but in their client offices. Projects can vary from three months to three years and you can request which project you would like to work on next. There are clear paths for career progress and you are encouraged to be the best you can be. All sounding good so far and very well done to the company for taking care of their people.  

Back to the competition….
Round 3 will see the top 12 competitors halved to six finalists who will take part in a number of development days.  This is where the real prize foundations are set. 

Finalists get to “practice and refine the business abilities required to transform their innovative ideas into a formidable business proposition”. They also receive one-to-one mentoring
 and cover topics such as entrepreneurship in Ireland, new business start-ups, achieving growth, leveraging digital technology and the assistance options available to start-ups. Finalists also get the opportunity to learn about innovation and process improvement methodologies and how innovation is shaping the business landscape. 

Lastly, there is a "Leadership Skills Workshop" to prepare for the final pitch before a panel of Irish business leaders. Not so shabby if you want to kick start your career and boost your competitive edge.

Finalist results will be released this week so the race is officially on!!







No comments:

Post a Comment